By: Dona DeZube
In an article from Monster.com, Stay Interviews, managers can be reluctant to conduct stay interviews, for fear that employees will ask for raises that aren’t in the budget.
Those fears are often unfounded. In truth, stay interviews are your best defense against employee attrition.
To find out what questions to ask in the stay interview, we spoke with Beverly Kaye, author of Help Them Grow or Watch Them Go.
She points out that the best stay interview questions help managers individualize their work as leaders and learn more about the people they manage.
To get the most from your organization’s stay interviews, Kaye recommends asking these 11 questions:
- What about your job makes you want jump out of bed?
- What about your job makes you want to hit the snooze button?
- What are you passionate about?
- What’s your dream job?
- If you changed your role completely, what would you miss the most?
- If you won the lottery and didn’t have to work, what would you miss?
- What did you love in your last position that you’re not doing now?
- What makes for a great day at work?
- If you had a magic wand, what would be the one thing you would change about your work, your role and your responsibilities?
- What do you think about on your way to work?
- What’s bothering you most about your job?