Cold Calling may seem to be a career strategy of the past but don’t completely discard it yet.
What is a Cold Call and how to make it work for you.
What do we know about cold calling? Is it really an effective way of getting a job? Breaking down the concept of cold calling, its 2 things:
- The person/company/organization you are contacting does not know you. Contact can be made by phone, email, social media or even face-to-face.
- The ultimate goal of cold calling is to in make a conversion. (i.e. a sale, meeting, subscription, etc.)
How is this done? The best way to learn about cold calling is looking to the masters themselves, sales associates. This is their job and people make a living reaching out to strangers and making a sale of their product or service. The same concept can be used when trying to reach out to hiring managers in and securing an opportunity with the company. There is a strategy in cold calling that makes this an effective job search tool.
Here are 3 tactic to start the process of setting up a successful cold call:
Tactic 1: Target your approach
- Create a list of all companies that you would be interested in working for using LinkedIn, the phone book or even CalJobs.
- Organize your list of companies by specific geographic area, industry, or any other method.
Tactic 2: Look up people who work there.
- Research and identify the names of the people who have hiring power.
- Call each company’s number, look through LinkedIn, use your resources to be able to identify the name and title of the hiring manager in your area of expertise.
- It’s critical to get a name and title of the decision maker because there is a higher chance of you being able to connect with the person with a name then with no name at all.
Tactic 3: Reach out to the people you need to connect with
- This step is the hardest for most people because it means getting on the phone and contacting these people and asking for what they want.
- Start with requesting an informational interview, to learn more what is happening in the industry.
- Even though there may not be any job opportunities at the time, network and get the names of more people to contact.
These 3 tactics will help you start warming up your cold call strategy. If you want to improve on your cold calling skills check out Part 2 and Part 3 of Warming Up Your Cold Calls Series:
- Part 2: How to Get Past the Cold Call Gatekeeper
- Part 3: Asking about a Job vs Opportunity: Is there a difference?